Thursday, November 26, 2009

Dear Lord,
I know my dad is up with you and he is so so happy. Today is his birthday. Can you wish him for me? Tell him I am doing alright but missing him still. Mum is there with him, but then you already know that. I can imagine him walking on streets of Gold, asking you all those questions he said he was going to ask you.He loved you so much and he was special to you too. He was a wonderful Dad, always had time for us. When we did something wrong, mum would get excited and scream and scold but Dad well he was more calm, but rest assured you would get the punishment you deserved.He was always quick to give a hug and kiss, no matter what age we were.When I think of him, I can almost smell the Fahrenheit he lavishly splashed on himself. Clothes ironed to perfection and shoes shinning(we were roped in sometimes to shine them). Today I know all the family are thinking of him and Lord I cannot thank you enough for such a wonderful dad. He had such a great capacity to love and give of himself. Tell Dad that his children are still close to each other and that bond he started cannot be broken. Tell him the grandchildren are doing great and he and mum would be so proud of them.
He was not only a great dad but also a wonderful husband and looked after mum right to the end.Two days before mum died she asked us to recite PSALM 23 and when Dad and I had finished, he looked at her and the love he had for her just poured right out and overwhelmed us. He told her you know I love you and she looked at him and said 'I know". It was like a secret message pass between them.
The most poignant moment I shared with dad before he died was the night we were driving him to hospital. He was in pain and making very heavy breathing noises and I was crying. Suddenly he shouted with a loud voice 'I PLEAD THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB TO COVER ME'
You, Lord immediately came to his rescue. You took away his fear in that instant and he knew he was going home. I have never until this day, ever felt that peace which invaded our car, that white light which flooded our car. It was the closes I have come to being in your presence.
So tell him we love him and mum and the memories they left us, we will always carry in our hearts. He ran and finished the race. I can imagine you, Lord, standing at the gates of heaven, your arms wide open "Welcome home son"

No comments: